Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Visa - Embassy of Finland, Riga : Services : Visa


Kalpaka bulvaris 1
LV-1605 Riga, Latvia
Tel. +371-6707 8800
English | Latviski | Suomi | Svenska |  | 


Rules for staying in the Schengen zone do not apply to the citizens of the European Union. Every time when you enter a member country, a new three month free residence period begins.

EU citizens' passports are not stamped when crossing borders between member states. Official identity cards can also be used as a valid travel document.  Please note, however, that a driver's licence is not an acceptable travel document.

In accordance with the EU decision Finland has cancelled the visa regime for non-citizens residing permanently in the new EU member countries and travelling with the documents issued by these countries.  But, non-citizens going to Finland to work will still need to apply for a residence permit for work.  Please also note that only the employee himself/herself can initiate this application process. For further information, please read the section Residence permit and the Finnish Immigration Service's homepage.

Print this page

This document

Other Foreign Service websites

Updated 12/19/2016

© Embassy of Finland, Riga | About this site | Contact information